It was either the adorable puppy in the animal shelter you wanted to adopt or the fluffy kitten on display at the pet store, but you finally caved in to that longing for a new pet. Now they’re in your home looking up at you wide-eyed. What do you do next?
Welcome to the family
Pets are the perfect addition to any family. Pets require a lot of time, attention and money. Hopefully you as the new pet owner did some homework in advance, but even if some of your research was sparse remember Sunset Veterinary Clinic is here to help. Bring your new furry family member in to see us for an introductory check-up. While you’re waiting for your appointment here’s some important tips to keep in mind.
Tips for new pet owners
- It’s very important to get your pet a collar, license and ID tags. You’ll need to keep your current contact information up to date at all times. You should strongly consider a microchip for your pet so that even if they lose their collar they still have a great chance of making it home.
- Take extra time to welcome a new cat. Cats can take a while to get used to new surroundings. Spend a lot of time with your new pet. It helps them make the adjustment.
- Be sure to stock up on supplies – pet food, food bowl, water bowl and toys.
- Dogs need order so use positive reinforcement methods for good behavior.
- Pets need an active life so plan plenty of exercise and games together, stimulating them physically and mentally, strengthening your important bond.
- Pet proof your home. Watch for things like food left out on tables and counters. Make sure anything dangerous like poisons are put safely away.
- Most important is to be patient. Training and adjustment takes time. Be persistent and positive.
If you are considering adopting a new pet, these local organizations are a great place to start:
Pet adoptions are a rewarding experience that gives you a friend for life and these organizations are ready to help.